Apr 26, 2015

Sunday Sweats - Another Week

Sunday Sweats Theme Inspired by Holly

I was sick last week, and didn't feel well enough to attempt anything until the weekend.  I say "attempt" because my run on Saturday lasted about half a mile before I had to walk, and I was sweating like I'd gone 3 or 4.  Yoga on Sunday went a little better, but even into this past week, I tired a lot quicker than my usual.  Not fun!  Anyway here's this week's workouts...

Weekly Workouts


Monday - Strength Training

Bench, pull downs, ankle rehab.

Tuesday - Strength Training, 1.3 Mile Run

Lunchtime workout with curls, triceps, and ankle rehab.  Tried to run to make up for Saturday, but it just felt bad.  Or rather, it felt good for precisely 2 tenths of a mile and then it felt terrible.  No particular issues, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but focusing on positives: I got sunshine and Luke got exercise.

Wednesday - Strength Training

Legs today.  I was feeling a bit too wimpy for squats, so instead did leg press, lunges, calf raises, and ankle rehab.  After work I took a nap instead of biking, and I can't say I feel terribly guilty about it.

Thursday - 30 Min Biking, 3.1 Mile Run

Whaaat?  TWO types of cardio in 1 day?  I know, life is crazy.  I biked at home (we have a recumbent bike), and was going to call it good and start my homework, but then my lovely neighbor suggested we go to the gym.  While I had already exercised and I did have things to do, you can't turn down a gym buddy!  And I need to get more comfortable using the tiny gym at our apartment complex.

We got there and the 2 treadmills were both in use, so I tried out an elliptical.  My goodness, that was hard!  So much harder than running!!!  So it was with great relief that I took over the 2nd treadmill when it became vacant.  And then the run was so much better than the last 2 times I tried, and the 3 miles was not just doable, but fairly easy and I was able to play around with different speeds.  Best workout since the sickness!

Friday - Nada

I could claim rest day, but really it was frantically finish up homework so I can work on other projects over the weekend day.  Less relaxing.

Saturday - 7-8? Mile Run

My sister and I were planning on doing a 6 mile run through Center City (Philadelphia), along the riverfront, and back again.  Then I got confused about the "boathouse" that was supposed to be my turnaround point and I continued an extra 2 to 3 miles past before I found a boathouse (not the correct one) and turned around.  Poor Sister2 had to sit and wait for my exhausted, slow self to jog/walk back to where she was waiting, because her phone had died so we had no way to set up a different rendezvous point.  But in the end no one panicked, and we did find each other again, and I went a great distance, although I'm not entirely sure how long it was.  So... call it a success?

Sunday - 45 Min Yoga/Pilates

Today's pilates were extremely welcome to help shake off the residual soreness from yesterday's run.

Total Weekly Mileage: 11.4-ish
Total Hours Exercised: 5.5
Weeks to Next Race: 1

    Thoughts Going Into Next Week


    For better or worse, the race is next weekend.  I'll admit to a healthy amount of dread.  I'll cross that finish line, but will anyone still be there by the time I get there?  Only time will tell.

    On a similar note - my sisters and I are trying to find a half marathon to sign up for in August.  We're debating between a couple options.  The favorite (The Town's Half Marathon in Oakland, CA) has a time limit to finish by - 14 minute miles.  On the one hand, if we keep training we should be able to make that without too much difficulty.  You could even walk a little bit with 14 minute miles.  Buuuut... my training really hasn't gone smoothly up to this point, so maybe I shouldn't sign up for things I'm not currently capable of doing.  What do you guys think?

    How did your workouts go this week?  Should I sign up for the half marathon with the time limit or find another one without that restriction?


    Jenn signature graphic | Business, Life & Design