I was persuaded on the 2nd New Jersey blate to become an Instagram user. For real, not just in possession of an account I never used. So I did what I always do when I join a new social media network and followed a bazillion account that I "should" like.
It was boring and I rarely looked at it. Finally I decided to figure out what I really like and not what I should. Skipping the obvious friend's accounts, here's the ones that fill my feed (and heart) with joy.
To sum up: according to Jenn, the best of Instagram is web comics (I actually follow a bunch of other ones also but these artists format the best for Insta), travel photography, unique artists, and baby animals. (But especially the baby animals.)
It was boring and I rarely looked at it. Finally I decided to figure out what I really like and not what I should. Skipping the obvious friend's accounts, here's the ones that fill my feed (and heart) with joy.
1. earthofficial
Just gorgeous! Beautiful, beautiful landscape, scenery, places I never even imagined existed on this earth. I love it.2. theawkwardyeti
This has actually surpassed XKCD as my new favorite web comic. The constant battle between heart and brain is one that both amuses and resonates with me. Sister3 actually got me an Awkward Yeti book for Christmas, which is proudly displayed with the other "bathroom books."3. grace_ciao
A Reddit discovery (about half the art on my Pinterest boards was found through Reddit), Grace Ciao does some really awesome and pretty stuff with flower petals as fashion sketches. I don't even care about fashion, but these makes my heart happy.4. natgeotravel
More pretty pictures, but more variety. Some landscapes, some animals, some people. Always interesting, sometimes educational.5. fowllanguagecomics
I don't even have kids and this makes me laugh. I can only imagine this being more poignant once I do cross into parenthood.6. cintascotch
Abstract, minimalist, and artsy, this one is just good fun. His art is fun and silly and sometimes makes me think.7. chrishallbeck
More comics! Although this one is more inappropriate humor than the other two, which are more family friendly.8. gravityglue
This is so incredibly zen. Gorgeous photography, and mind-blowing configurations of rock. I honestly don't know if the artist actually glues things together or just has some kind of gravity defying balancing abilities, but the results are amazing.9. gemmacorrell
I actually found this one through a bunch of random "inappropriate Valentine's" that I googled and printed as a joke for Ryan. He liked hers so much that I tracked down the artist, bought a laptop case with the comic (these 2 dogs - it's cute and weird), and then followed her on Insta just for good measure.10. muradosmann
This is the "follow me" series, where the photography is being led by the hand into various cultural settings. A fun idea and absolutely gorgeous travel photography. Not very frequent posts, but that's fine when each one is so beautiful!11. thatsbabyanimals
And the best for last! My daily "daw." Sometimes I feel ashamed of how much I like this, but what can I say? You'd have to have a heart of stone not to.To sum up: according to Jenn, the best of Instagram is web comics (I actually follow a bunch of other ones also but these artists format the best for Insta), travel photography, unique artists, and baby animals. (But especially the baby animals.)