Jun 8, 2015

Sunday Sweats - Yoga Challenges and a Weddin'!

Sunday Sweats Theme Inspired by Holly

Still focusing primarily on the sugar thing.  It would be nice to get exercise every day, but as long as I stick to my half training plan and follow through with sugar avoidance, I'm not going to worry too much about light exercise days.

Weekly Workouts


Monday - Strength Training | DTT: 30 Min

Bench with dumbbells, which is always interesting, because you find out where your weak points are.  My "stabilizer" muscles have improved immensely since I've started doing more free weight activities with my dad.  (Machines are great, but they do a lot of the work for you by keeping things stabilized)  No cardio, because obviously running around with my friend and goddaughter was far more important than running or biking!  We got pedicures and my goddaughter giggled the entire time they were touching her feet.  So cute!

Sugar Withdrawal Day 6: I was all set to type "nothing terribly important" and then I got light-headed and my heart rate jumped for no reason and stayed that way for a couple hours.  It was a lot like caffeine jitters, but the most caffeinated thing I drink these days is green tea, so...

Tuesday - Strength Training, 2.4 Mile Run | DTT: 54 Min

Clean and press, curls and tris.  I was definitely breathing hard after this workout!  Lots of ankle rehab the last couple days.  Ran with Ryan and Luke later in the evening.  Despite doing my best to run slowly, we were pretty close to 10 minute miles.  The time is kind of exciting, I guess, but mostly it's a tribute to my utter lack of any ability to pace myself when I'm not running on a treadmill.  Oh well.

SW Day 7: It's really hard to pinpoint symptoms, because they're all things that could be coincidental.  I tried to find caffeine content for the tea I usually drink, and it could be anywhere from half as much as coffee to negligible.  So that seems unlikely to have caused my jitters from yesterday.  Today I feel kind of like I do when I'm really sleep deprived, which could be from getting 6 hours of sleep, but typically isn't this bad unless I get less than that.  So really I've got no clue.  I'm fine when I get up and move around, but my attention span is crap and I feel kind of hazy.

Wednesday - Yoga, Strength Training, Biking | DTT: 90 Min

Got up early today!  I biked for about 10 minutes and then I started the 30 Day Yoga Challenge with Erin Motz.  We did "easy" things today and I was still struggling, so we'll see how this goes!  I might be a step under beginner, whatever that is.  Remedial?  Leg workout at lunch.  I kept it pretty light, partially because I forgot what I normally start with for squats, and partially because I have to do my long run tomorrow instead of Saturday.  After work I decided to bike for another half hour to get my 30 minutes of cardio in for the day.

SW Day 8: Still hazy.

Thursday - Yoga, 5.5 Mile Run | DTT: 77 Min

Day 2 of the yoga challenge!  Again, lots of things were hard for me, so I supplemented a bit with things I can actually do.  I also cheated a bit on the proud warrior, because I need my quads to run later in the day.

The more I run, the less importance I'm placing on running continuously.  So after work I ran 1 mile with Luke in my toe shoes.  Then I headed over to my parent's house to get in my other 4 miles.  That run was pretty choppy also, with some walking, so I did an additional half mile to make up for it.  In general, I'm struggling a bit more with my runs than I'd like.  I'm not terribly looking forward to next week's 6 mile run.

SW Day 9: Clear!  My brain feels much less cobwebby.  I'm still having the occasional heart rate increase for no reason and I feel more stressed than I reasonably should for Sister2's wedding.  (I mean, we've got it all handled already!)  But overall it's not that bad and I feel like I'm coming out of it.

Friday - Biking | DTT: 15 Min

I got caught up in the wedding rush.  Tried to squeeze in some biking, but I wasn't disciplined enough to make it a priority.  My little sister is about to get married!

SW Day 10: I want ALL the granola bars!!!  (Looks like I'll have to remove this from my diet after all.)

Saturday - Nada - Sister2's Wedding!

Nothing to report, but it was a fantastic day.

Sunday - Nada

Exhausted!  Between driving back and forth to PA and chatting with relatives, I didn't make time to do anything.

SW Day 12: There's been a fair amount of sugar consumed in the last 2 days.  I can still say I have not binged, which is an accomplishment!  And when I did eat things lacking in nutritional value, I made a point of eating less than I would have in the past (ex. 1 slice of pizza instead of 2 or 3).  But it's entirely possible that I've set myself back a bit with the sugar addiction aspect.  We'll see how the next few days go.


Total Weekly Mileage: 7.9
Weekly Total Time: 4 hr 26 min
Weeks to Next Race: 1 (Wipeout Run - 5K), 10 (The Town's Half Marathon - 13.1), 16 (Beat the Blerch - 13.1)

Thoughts Going Into Next Week


The Wipeout Run should be a good time, but what I'm most looking forward to is having Saturdays freed up for my long runs again.  It sucks to run 5+ miles after work!  I do think my day goes better when I get up early enough to exercise before work, so I'll be attempting that again.  And I might try segmented sleep.

In order to get up early, I have to go to bed so early that I don't really see Ryan unless he comes home right when his shift ends (new flash: it's rare).  So if I take a "nap" when I get home for about 3 hours, I'll get up shortly after he gets home and I can be awake for a few hours before getting the rest of my 8 or 9 hours.  Apparently humans used to do this.  Why not, right?!

How did your workouts go this week?  Have you ever tried polyphasing, segmented sleep, or any other kind of irregular sleep schedule?


Jenn signature graphic | Business, Life & Design