How do you measure progress? With some things, it's easy. Like weight lifting. Every few weeks you find yourself being able to lift just a little bit more. Running has a definite progression as well, although I've found it to be more variable, depending on how well-rested I am, if I've eaten too recently or too long ago, etc. But as I've continued, I've definitely noticed how much easier it is to breathe, and my perception of distance is altered. 3 miles is no longer a "long" run like it once was.
I'm stumped on is this healthy eating thing. I mean, obviously many people eat better in the hopes that they'll lose weight. And my weight is inching it's way down, slowly. But I find myself becoming far too interested in the scale, and weighing myself far more often than I ever wanted to. I never wanted to focus on weight, or even size. I wanted to focus on health. But other than the minuscule change in weight, I haven't noticed too many benefits of better eating habits. Which is not to say they aren't there, but thus far they haven't been anything measurable or noticeable enough that I can celebrate a particular success.
Any thoughts on this one? How do I measure success in the healthy eating area without getting too tied to the scale?
Weekly Workouts
Monday - Strength Training, 3 Mile Run, Biking, Yoga | DTT: 94 Min
I didn't get up early enough to bike before work (Game of Thrones finale last night - up late but totally worth it!). Lunchtime: bench press with dumbbells today, for some variety. Also pull downs, around the worlds, and various ankle rehab things. I took a nap after work and then Ryan convinced me to run with him when I woke up. My legs were hurting (shins instead of calves, which has me mildly concerned), so I biked for a bit afterwards, hoping that would help like it has in the past (nope), and then finally did another day from my yoga challenge. Now that I'm backed up, I can pick and choose which ones to watch, so I did the lower back one.Tuesday - Strength Training | DTT: 30 Min
Icing my shin today and hoping that the ache goes away. My morning exercise plan is not off to a good start this week, but I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as it happens at some point during the day. Which it did not. But I did manage to struggle up out of my pit of self pity and do some non-health related things to make myself feel better. Sometimes that's all you can ask for.Wednesday - Biking | DTT: 30 Min
Did I mention my foot had been going numb? Yeah, it was freaking me out until I read a bit more about it. Apparently that can happen from nerve compression from tight shoes, or inflammation in the foot. After examination, there's a weird lump on the top of my foot, which is probably from banging it around at the Wipeout Run or some such ridiculousness. Finally, after having it recommended by 5 different people, I took an anti-inflammatory, and hours later it was all better. Thank goodness. Still skipping the squat workout though, and opting for some nice, easy, low-impact biking.Thursday - Nada
I fell into a pit of sadness and self-pity until I decided to take the night off. I did no homework, no client projects, no blog things, no exercise, and it was awesome. Plus 9 hours of sleep.Friday - 5 Miles Run | DTT: 60 Min
I was supposed to do a 7 mile run this week, but my body wasn't having it. After doing over a mile of run/walking, I finally called it quits. Better than nothing, right?Saturday - 1 Mile Run | DTT: 12 Min
I was going to try to catch up to the 7, but after one mile I was dying. My body's exhausted and I'm not sure why.Sunday - Yoga | DTT: 60 Min
Pilates with my mom. It's been a while since we did this one, and it was tough! My legs are aching from the last couple days, so that's not fun either.
Total Weekly Mileage: 9
Weekly Total Time: 4 hr 46 min
Weeks to Next Race: 8 (The Town's Half Marathon - 13.1), 14 (Beat the Blerch - 13.1)
Thoughts Going Into Next Week
Run more? Not be tired? I don't know. I've got a lot of client projects coming up so this has the potential to be a rough week for my workout routine. We'll see how it goes. Oh! But I did finally make an appointment to see someone about the leg issues I've been having. So maybe we'll solve some problems there.