I watch the snow swirling around outside. Yesterday the sun shone, warm and hinting gloriously at spring. My husband and I walked and talked and looked forward to the beginning of many more family walks in the sun.
Yesterday was my "last day" at my part time job. Of course, I'm back there today, finishing up because my final project is one of those horrendous maps that I truly dread doing.
I'm plowing through it. I'll confess, my productivity hasn't been what it could have been the last couple years here. I was bored with the repetition. Repeating the same, mindless tasks, on the same maps, year after year.
But today I have a goal, a vision, and a finish line.
Today I depart, for real, and I will leave my key, and my work email, and the reliable paychecks behind.
I am thrilled! I am excited. I am terrified.
This is it. It's now or never. I have my chance to chase my dreams, make a go of my business, take it from a side gig to the real deal.
I like to run through worst case scenarios when I'm afraid or anxious or stressed. I'm very fortunate that I'm able to pursue this opportunity AND that the risks are so low. If the business doesn't make it, I'll have to find a job. It might take a few years for my finances to rebound. It might add some tension to my marriage.
But I'll survive and we'll figure it out. And if I don't fail...
I get to run a business my way and make all the decisions. I get to donate part of my proceeds and make ethical choices in my company. I get to provide work and pay for other entrepreneurs or potentially employees one day. I get rewarding projects that make a difference outside of my little, personal sphere.
I dressed like I was going to a networking event today and yesterday. I wanted to make that clear distinction. Yes I can work in yoga pants most days. But out in public and interacting with people, this is my business persona. This is who I am and who I'm growing into.
