Aug 15, 2017

I Vote with My Voice and I Vote Against Hate

It's tempting to let this go, because it feels like there's just one issue after another, and our president does nothing useful, and you all know how I feel anyway.  But I think maybe saying nothing is as bad as not voting.  By not making a statement or a choice or using your voice, you're allowing evil to have its way, letting people think this is the majority, that we're ok with this.

And it's not ok.  We have goddamn Nazis holding protests in our country less than a century after we fought and lost countless lives to stop them.  (The link if you somehow haven't heard about this.)

And I know they have the same freedoms the rest of us do.  The freedom to say whatever they want, the freedom to organize and protest peacefully.  But was it peaceful?  Should a peaceful protest involve torches and rifles?  It definitely doesn't cover the assault and murder of counter protestors by driving a fucking vehicle into the crowd.

I don't really have anything to say that someone else hasn't already said, and said more eloquently.  But I think it's important to keep saying it.

This isn't normal.  This isn't right.  I don't support this.

I still think our biggest danger is not all the scary shit that's happening or our useless president who doesn't openly condemn white supremacists/the alt right/Nazis/whatever you want to call them because he agrees with them.  I think the biggest danger is the complacency and inaction of those who disagree.

And it's easy to get complacent.  I don't want to still be reading this and thinking about this.  But we need to or who knows what all horrible laws and bills and healthcare repeals will happen while we're not looking.

I'm still here.  I still care.  I'm still voicing my opinion.

Jenn signature graphic | Optimization, Actually