I've started and deleted a TON of posts because, in the end, there wasn't enough to say about each particular topic and I don't want to waste everyone's time on negativity. But apparently I did this back in May and I kind of enjoyed reading it, so here's Unapologetic Rant Post #2!
I diverted the conversation into maternity wear and how it automatically makes you look pregnant and so on, but looking back I really wish I had said, "I've always been fat, now I'm just fat AND pregnant." Then at least the person feeling awkward at the end would have been the one trying to mess with the other person instead of the one who had no ill intentions. Plus it would have supported my Fat Manifesto.
I suppose there's really nothing new for me to say on the topic of alcohol. You all know that I quit drinking even before I got pregnant, and I have no intention of going back after. But it continues to be a presence in my life and it's so infuriating and terrifying and painful to watch people let alcohol make decisions for them. And every time they escape unscathed, they think, "See, I wasn't that drunk. I knew I was safe to drive." Every. Fucking. Time. And I suppose so it will continue until that luck runs out and I'll watch, helpless to do a damn thing about it.
So it just baffles me when people have animals that are so fat they have trouble moving around, or that develop health issues because of their obesity, because how can it not have occurred to their owners to take that one simple step of measuring their food?! Yes, I get that it can be more difficult with multiple pets. If Toast ever gets skittery for some reason and decides the stars have not aligned properly for the food bowl to be safe today, then Luke will happily handle that for her. So when that happens, we pull Luke aside and wait for her to decide it's safe, or on a couple of occasions we just put the food back and made sure to give her extra treats and a larger portion at the next meal. When we visit Sister2 and Brother-in-Law, their dog ravenously destroys his food and then goes after whatever other food bowls are in reach. So typically we'll put him or Luke in another room and feed them each separately until our slowpoke is done.
If you have a pet that just doesn't eat, then ok. You might have legitimate reasons. But I feel like most of us who are worried about our pets being too thin are using human standards of size, expecting them to have extra fat that they really don't need (unless you're planning on dropping them off in the wild to fend for themselves for a couple months), and freaking out if they miss a meal. I think, for the most part, if they miss a meal they'll just be hungrier for the next one. Ryan's thin and misses meals all the time and somehow doesn't drop dead of starvation each time it happens.
That's it for now. Hopefully I didn't bring you down too much! (If so, please refer to the happy news from last week. :P)
1. If I Never Hear the Phrase "Libtard" Again, It'll Be Too Soon
Seriously, what's up with this? As a pragmatist, I don't expect us to actually respect each other, but people throw this around like it's an objective statement and not some ridiculous insult meant to demean both Democrats and mentally challenged people. And what would even be the Republican variant? Conservadick? Come on, people. We're not 8th grade know-it-alls trying to make the substitute teacher cry. (I mean, some of us are, but I'm fairly confident that's a small subset of the population.)2. "He Just Called You Fat"
Sooo... one of my coworkers was trying to make conversation, and acknowledge the fact that yes, I am indeed with child, so he said, "You're starting to look pregnant, Jenn!" A) This is true and B) I was wearing a maternity top, which is pretty much the best way to say, "Hey, I'm pregnant, not just chubby!" So when another coworker pretended to be indignant on my behalf I felt... annoyed I guess? It's just conversation and while it may be the best policy to never comment on someone being pregnant if you don't actually know for sure that they are, once it has been announced, I don't see the harm.I diverted the conversation into maternity wear and how it automatically makes you look pregnant and so on, but looking back I really wish I had said, "I've always been fat, now I'm just fat AND pregnant." Then at least the person feeling awkward at the end would have been the one trying to mess with the other person instead of the one who had no ill intentions. Plus it would have supported my Fat Manifesto.
3. That Doesn't Apply to Me
I think sometimes it's easy to shrug off risks because they're scary and, when it's reasonably low or there's nothing we can do about it, there's really no point in letting that fear control our actions. But there are a lot of risks we take that are completely avoidable. No one thinks they'll be the ones to get lung cancer from smoking, until they do. No one thinks they need a prenup or that they'll behave badly in the instance of a divorce, until they do. No one thinks, "Wow, I'm being really irresponsible getting behind the wheel in this incapacitated mental state" until they've smashed their car, someone else's car, a human being.I suppose there's really nothing new for me to say on the topic of alcohol. You all know that I quit drinking even before I got pregnant, and I have no intention of going back after. But it continues to be a presence in my life and it's so infuriating and terrifying and painful to watch people let alcohol make decisions for them. And every time they escape unscathed, they think, "See, I wasn't that drunk. I knew I was safe to drive." Every. Fucking. Time. And I suppose so it will continue until that luck runs out and I'll watch, helpless to do a damn thing about it.
4. Obese Pets
Sooo... perhaps this is hypocritical because I'm all about body acceptance for people, but to me, it seems so simple to keep animals at a healthy weight. You don't have to experience their cravings and you have total control over their food. Honestly, I'd never even heard of the concept of "open feeding" until fairly recently. When we first got Luke we weren't using a particularly accurate measuring system, but we still used some kind of cup to dip food into his bowl and now, after a brief period of overweight-ness when we lived with a friend who kept food out and always available, he's healthy again and keeping him there is simple. We still do treats periodically (ok, fine, all the time) and we don't worry about the impact on his intake. If he seems to be getting bigger we reduce, if he seems thin, we increase. Easy peasy.So it just baffles me when people have animals that are so fat they have trouble moving around, or that develop health issues because of their obesity, because how can it not have occurred to their owners to take that one simple step of measuring their food?! Yes, I get that it can be more difficult with multiple pets. If Toast ever gets skittery for some reason and decides the stars have not aligned properly for the food bowl to be safe today, then Luke will happily handle that for her. So when that happens, we pull Luke aside and wait for her to decide it's safe, or on a couple of occasions we just put the food back and made sure to give her extra treats and a larger portion at the next meal. When we visit Sister2 and Brother-in-Law, their dog ravenously destroys his food and then goes after whatever other food bowls are in reach. So typically we'll put him or Luke in another room and feed them each separately until our slowpoke is done.
If you have a pet that just doesn't eat, then ok. You might have legitimate reasons. But I feel like most of us who are worried about our pets being too thin are using human standards of size, expecting them to have extra fat that they really don't need (unless you're planning on dropping them off in the wild to fend for themselves for a couple months), and freaking out if they miss a meal. I think, for the most part, if they miss a meal they'll just be hungrier for the next one. Ryan's thin and misses meals all the time and somehow doesn't drop dead of starvation each time it happens.
5. Celebrity Drama
WHO CARES?!?!?! It's bad enough that people are so fascinated with the lives of people they don't know anything about other than what movies they've been in or what the tabloids say about them, but when people have opinions or take sides? You don't know them! You don't know what happened! You were not there. It's not your fight to fight and I seriously doubt that your support or condemnation means a damn thing to someone who is exposed to the opinion of the masses on a daily basis. Just have some decency and leave it alone.That's it for now. Hopefully I didn't bring you down too much! (If so, please refer to the happy news from last week. :P)