Jan 1, 2015

Bucket List Updates & Yearly Self Actualization

Happy New Year!

My absolute favorite thing to do on New Year's Day is figure out my resolutions for the upcoming year and reflect on the past year.  This year, a lot of the work has already been done simply by keeping this blog, and my goals are much more organized, so instead of coming up with totally new goals each year, I'm just going to update you on the ongoing things I've been working on.

I've crossed a couple things off my bucket list this year.  Most important was "model for an art class" because that's been on there for a long time.  The other, "acquire a title," I may have added because I was acquiring one.  But if I'd ever thought of it before, it would totally have been on there, I swear!  And I got my 2nd, and probably last, tattoo, but since that was already crossed off, it doesn't really count.

I already know a couple I'll be tackling next year (I try to cross off at least one each year).  Definitely #7, and probably #31 as well.

Bucket List

  1. Skydive (2009)
  2. Collect Pics of All the US License Plates (45 of 50)
  3. See the Northern Lights
  4. Graduate College (2010, 2012)
  5. Parasail (2009)
  6. Visit Europe (2013)
  7. Get Married
  8. See a Solar Eclipse
  9. Become Fluent in Another Language
  10. Take Dance Lessons
  11. Write a Book
  12. Zorb
  13. Illustrate a Book (2011)
  14. Pose for an Art Class (2014)
  15. Win a Contest
  16. Skinny Dip (2009)
  17. See the Grand Canyon (2012)
  18. Get a Real Job (2012, 2013)
  19. Travel the Amazon
  20. See Machu Picchu/Chichen Itza
  21. Experience Zero Gravity
  22. Visit Every Continent (2 out of 7)
  23. Scuba Dive
  24. Get a Tattoo (2011, 2014)
  25. Build a Treehouse
  26. Create My Own Scholarship
  27. Go to the Galapagos Islands
  28. Stand on an Island so Small You Can See All Coasts at Once
  29. Ride a Mechanical Bull
  30. Start a Business/Be an Entrepreneur (2011)
  31. Attend a Beach Bonfire
  32. Be in a Flash Mob, or a LARP Event
  33. Travel by Dog Sled
  34. Acquire a Title (2014)
  35. Hot Air Balloon Ride
I cover my ongoing goals at the bottom, but I do want to talk about one of them.  The goal I'm most proud of was to try something new each month.  I managed to follow through for all of 2014, which is probably the longest I've stuck with a self improvement project.  Here's the list of those.
 

2014 Self Actualization

  1. January - Rock'n'Roll Sushi 101
  2. February - More Classes: Creative Writing & Chocolate Making
  3. March - TEDx Event & Back on My Feet 5-Miler
  4. April - 1st Ever Work Trip & Figure Drawing/Meetup Groups
  5. May - Brave Solo Art Viewing
  6. June - Posing for Figure Drawing (Extra points for bucket list item!) & Hosting a Meetup!
  7. July - Road Trip from Cupertino to Vegas (also Yosemite & Death Valley)
  8. August - DragonCON (first convention)
  9. September - Computer Programming Class
  10. October - Making a Friend Online
  11. November - Grim Philly Tavern Tour & Host Thanksgiving
  12. December - Family Christmas Cards (a relationship first!)
Overall, the project can be a lot of work, but it was also really rewarding.  Some months were easier than others and I did feel it prevented me from falling too far into a rut.  It also reminded me to appreciate the opportunities in my life and to live as much as I can.

After some deliberation, I think I'll be doing a different version of it in the new year.  While new life experiences are fantastic, I think I'd like to focus on creative projects for 2015.  I miss doing creative things, and my craft supplies are feeling awfully neglected.  So same premise, but all those art projects, photo albums, and time consuming design ideas... it's time to finally do them!  Self actualization, here I come!

Here's the other updates to the New Years Resolutions turned Lifelong Continuing Goals.

Lifelong Continuing Goals


Work


1. Follow through with daily priorities - Some days are better than others.
2. Spend less time on non-work activities - Have definitely cut back on blogging time, but could do more.
3. Find ways to expand job duties - Had a few projects outside the scope of my regular.  Nothing lasting, so I'll need to continue to do this.

Personal Fulfillment


4. Try something new each month - Kicked ass on this all year.  Changing it to Complete a new creative project each month for 2015.
5. Cook 2 meals each week - Eh, still working on this
6. Play games and read books whenever possible - I have read so much lately!  (Mostly thanks to the book challenge I'm participating in.)  And Ryan and I instituted Friday night game nights, which has been really enjoyable.  Now that I'm all done having fun, I'm going to swap this for Build monthly habits.

Health


7. Follow daily routine (schedule for: sleep, exercise, meals, school, and taking care of dog) - Still trying.  When I manage it, I feel really good, and I still really want to make this happen.
8. Exercise every day (doesn't matter how small) - Mixed success; some weeks are great, some I lose motivation
9. Snack less and substitute healthier versions - I'm changing this one to Eat something nutritious for every meal.  When I manage to do this, there's less room for the unhealthy stuff and it reduces my sugar cravings.  And it means that even when I do eat junk, at least I've gotten the nutrition I need as well.  And it's more measurable, which helps.

Social


10. Improve conversational skills/be more aware of other person in conversation - I feel like I'm getting more aware in some ways.  When there's a pause in the conversation and I'm surprised because I expected them to just volunteer something, that's my cue to actually ask a question.
11. Be more positive and express appreciation to other people - I'm definitely starting to feel more positive overall (and it is so fulfilling!), but I don't know how well I've done with telling people directly that I appreciate them.  A work in progress.
12. Make one new friend each year - I thought I had a couple potentials, but somewhere along the line they all fizzled out.  I am going to change this goal because I don't have control over whether or not I make a friend.  But I can Attend 4 social/networking/Meetup type activities each year

What's on your list?  Do you like to try new things?  Are you making New Years Resolutions?


Jenn signature graphic | Business, Life & Design