Entries: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Continuing the saga. Because being broken is my new hobby.
Monday
So apparently Casscells Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine doesn't feel like answering their phone or calling me back. I would like everyone to know whose fault it is if I die of deep vein thrombosis (Casscells' fault - to be clear). If, however, it's just a calf cramp, then I'd like you all to forget that I posted this and instead be impressed with how stoically I handled it all.
Tuesday
They called back (4:02pm), and I had an appointment today. Overall, it felt very silly and unnecessary. I'm slightly more at risk for blood clots (because birth control) so despite my lack of "excruciating" pain (evidently blood clots would be excruciating) they ordered an ultra sound. But not of my calf, where the non-excruciating pain is. Instead the thigh. So now, several hours later, I know that I am safe from blood clots in my thigh, which has no symptoms and has never had any symptoms, and that a blood clot is unlikely in my calf, but if there is one there, it's not a big deal unless it moves to my thigh.
Yep. A productive morning.
On the plus side, I got a really good workout crutching the long hallways of the medical center. They offered me a wheelchair, but really, how much exercise do I get? Besides, gotta circulate that blood and prevent clots. :P
Wednesday
A side effect of the doctor's visit was increased conversation about my leg, and people staring at my foot, and after some admiration of the hues of blue and purple, IT collectively decided that I would from now on elevate my foot at work. At first my boss/supervisor was trying to get me to put my foot on my desk and I said, "No, I won't!" And then they gave me the ottoman from the sofa in the lounge area, so I had to give in, because there's no good excuses anymore and to refuse someone's ottoman is just insulting.
This morning the foot is much more normal looking, and now they're totally justified, and I will have to continue elevating even though it is quite frequently uncomfortable (the blood rushing back into your foot when you put it back down can actually be painful, which makes mornings unpleasant).
11pm: We went to a baseball game with the company today. Go Phils! Because of the amount of walking involved, I was placed in a wheelchair, manned by my father (I work with my dad, btw). Despite the wheelchair, there was still more crutching than my norm and I was tired and sore by the time the game ended. My father, on the other hand, was well into his cups, not tired at all, and rapidly approaching the loud and less mentally/physically acute (but more happy) stage of drinking. This was not unusual, because many of my coworkers were also loud and happy. However, they were not the ones steering my wheelchair.
Since my father is chronically impatient, we had to leave before everyone else, ended up taking a different elevator, and getting completely misplaced from our group. While not terribly traumatic, I can tell you that not having control over where I'm going is not a pleasant experience for me. I'm a bit of a control freak, and I hate giving that control over to someone who might have different goals than myself, or who won't listen to my input.
The rest of the night was great though, and I got to commiserate with a couple other previous bone breakers, and share my not-so-epic falling at the dog park story, and eat chocolate covered pretzels. In case you were wondering, if you ever need to get on my good side, chocolate covered pretzels is a great start. The whole night could have been miserable and I'd still be happy as long as chocolate covered pretzels were present. But it wasn't miserable at all, and the Phillies won, and now the night is late and it's time for bed.
Thursday
So much soreness.
I wanted coffee, and to use my crutches as little as possible, so I rolled on over to the kitchen in my office chair. People laughed, but I filled up my water, got coffee, AND 2 delicious mini muffins. So I win. Oh, and I ran into someone's desk. My steering is not terribly skillful.
Friday
Hooray, it's Friday!
I like my job, I really do, but the past couple weeks I have been thoroughly exhausted by the end of the week, and Saturday/Sunday provide some much needed recoup time. My palms, armpits, back, and triceps are soooore!
Super late at night: a couple friends came over. We laughed, we drank, we became drunk, and we made an emergency run to Taco Bell. Much abuse occurred to the casted leg. Pain anticipated tomorrow.
Saturday
Minimal pain!
For whatever reason, I mentally psyched myself out about how difficult it was going to be to run errands (car appointment), so I got all tense for no reason. It wasn't (obviously), and logically I knew it wasn't, but I didn't relax until we got back home and all obligations for the day were over. Side note: we went to the movies and learned that they'll let you through without a ticket if you're clearly disabled and say you're waiting for someone. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome!
Sunday
Not as much sitting around as I would like. Don't you people understand? Laziness is at the top of my priority list right now! (Technically it's mostly of my own doing. But while laziness is at the top of the priority list, taking responsibility for my actions remains firmly at the bottom.)
