Aug 2, 2014

27 Things I Refuse to Say Goodbye to - Challenge (Mostly) Completed

Breaking the 27 Commandments for 27 Year Olds - Challenge Completed

I gave myself a month for this.  The timing of the article was amazing, because it was right before I left on a vacation "just because" during which my 27th birthday would occur.  So 2 of the harder ones were accomplished with no effort, while I was the exact age the article referenced.

Anyway, here's my personal rebellion against some stranger telling me to grow up and get boring.

27 Things I Refuse to Say Goodbye To


1. Everything bagels "bathed in full fat cream cheese" - Check

No particular love for bagels, but you tell me I can't eat 'em and I will immediately (or a month later, whatever) go stuff my face.  Of the bagel varieties, everything bagels are the best.  Go big or go home!  (Note: I did not specifically ask for "full fat cream cheese" but I figure when the customer doesn't see the container with calorie information, you give them the best tasting substance you've got.  And then tell them it's low fat.  Yeah...)

Everything bagel with cream cheese
I regret nothing!

2. Celebrating your birthday for a week - Check

I didn't even have to try; we were traveling and everyone made a big fuss.  It was seriously like a 2 week birthday.  Not that I'm complaining (so much cake!).

Cafeteria birthday cake with ice cream
The first of the birthday cakes (from the Curry Village cafeteria).

3. Taking vacations "just because" - Check

Sister road trip was in my plans long before I read the article.

I learned how to take panoramas with my phone!  Pretty cool, but not the best orientation for blog pics.

4. Ignoring babies - Check

This is sort of my natural state until I choose to see them.

5. Dancing at the bar until the lights come on and expecting to not be in bed until 3PM the next day recovering - Check

Also handled on the vacation.  Hit the clubs, danced until the wee hours and then got up on time for a full day of sightseeing!  (It's not the dancing that's the problem - it's the drinking, which we went light on)

6. Shopping at Forever 21 - Check

I almost forgot - I totally did this in Vegas.  Sister2 needed a clubbing outfit, and we were short on time to go see a show, and I was day drinking (day drunk?  day tipsy is more accurate), so I didn't try things on, because I didn't think I could move quickly enough.  Still though, I was in the store, I saw, I liked, I'll go back some time.

7. And H&M - Check

I make the occasional purchase at H&M.  For the most part I am trying to buy nice fabrics that last longer, but for casual outfits, I see no reason not to shop here.  This months purchase (that I would love to have a picture of, but alas!  Broken leg difficulties) was a skirt and shirt for only $30 and the skirt is even nice enough to wear to work!

8. And Urban Outfitters - Check, Sorta

I don't have much love for Urban Outfitters (I've purchased there in the past), but to spite what's-her-face I poked my head in and gave the clothes a solid chance before wandering back out again.

9. Hair accessories. "They're for newborn babies." - Check

Bam, first day

Everyone else is probably sick of this picture, but I love it so much!

10. Rainbow sandals - Fail

Is this a thing?  Like rainbow colored sandals?  I considered buying some just for this challenge, but I really don't want them...  And then I got confused about whether the article was referencing colors or brands and just gave it up.

11. Law school. "It's too late." - Sort of Check

Not exactly law school, but I did sign up for programming classes to supplement my new(ish) career change.  It's never too late!!!

12. White dresses - Check

I took a friend to The Melting Pot (yum!) for her birthday and said, "FYI, I will be wearing a slightly over the top fancy, white dress.  It's for the blog."  If Helene is still doing the "total blog move" hashtag, then this is probably my biggest #TBM to date.

13. Midnight movie showings - Check

HERCULES!!!  Ok, so this wasn't teeechnically a "midnight" showing, but it was the latest one I could get (10:40pm).  Who knew a movie with THE ROCK in it wouldn't merit a midnight release?

14. "You must be VERY serious about your career." - Check

Sure.  I'm very serious in the "oh, god, what am I doing with my life?!!!" kind of way.

15. Not having a hobby - Fail

I actually got really burned out on being busy all the time and cleared my schedule, but I guess this blog is a hobby, so... fail, I guess.  If it counts for anything, I didn't do a very good job this week!

16. Old ratty bathing suits.  "You look poor." - Fail

Mostly for lack of opportunity.  I've only put a bathing suit on once this past month.

17. Boy bands - Fail

I've done a lot of things just for this challenge, but this was too much effort.  I didn't become really aware of music until college so I never really got into boy bands in the first place.  I really like Justin Timberlake in SNL's Lonely Island  (Motherlover for the win!) and that movie In Time, (which was awesome sci-fi dystopia).  Does that count?

18. Being a flake - Sort of Check, eh... Not Really

So... I was in the middle of making plans when I left for the trip and I never finished making them.  Does that count?  Or do I have to actually cancel on someone?  I've done that plenty in the past, but I never liked that about myself so maybe I'll just accept this as a fail.  (Edit: As noted in the comments, since writing this I have indeed flaked on a friend arrangement, so this is now a check)

19. Fighting with your mother - Fail

Not even for the sake of this goofy challenge will I start a fight with my mother.  (although I will say this, she's not always right)

20. Watching MTV - Fail

Again too much effort.  How does one watch MTV without cable?  Is it even on Netflix?

21. Holding grudges against your exes - Fail

I had a great opportunity for this - out of the blue my ex contacted me.  He needed my information for an employment opportunity and I could have been snarky and uncooperative but it didn't occur to me until later.  Oh well.

22. Not showering every day - Check

My philosophy for this is like clothes.  If it doesn't smell, it's clean!  Plus, that would dry my skin out soo bad.  (Edit: Now with the broken ankle this is definitely not happening every day.  It's so hard!)

23. Themed parties - Fail

This, in my opinion, was the most outrageous (of the non-offensive) banned activities.  Theme parties are so much fun!  And I would have liked to make this happen, but it was a busy month.  Soon, though!

24. Not watching the news - Check

No problem - the only news I get is from Reddit or coworkers and that's usually by accident.

25. Approaching a guy to flirt and/or wingman for your best friend before taking a glance at his left hand - Fail

Approaching a guy to flirt?  Pah!  I'm more of the online dating type.

26. Facebook albums - Check

Trip pictures?  Excessive amount of mountain scenery?  Better put that s*** in an album.


27. Not working out every day - Check

Psssht!  Didn't even have to make a lifestyle change for this one

So, if my count was correct, I've completed 17 things off my list of 27 things someone else told me not to do anymore (which is ~63%).  Honestly, I thought I would do better, but then I got lazy (or logical) and decided not to do the things I didn't want to do just because someone told me not to.  Which tends to be my stance on fads, anyway.

Not doing something just because it's popular is JUST AS BAD as doing it because it's popular.  And maybe worse when that fad happens to be something really awesome, like a really good book, the current popularity of dystopian movies, and fantasy settings in general.  (Although I'm ready to move on from vampires already.  Next!)

That said, here's a short letter to the author of the original article (who has probably gotten enough hate mail already, so I'll keep this civil).


Dear Buzz Kill,

Thank you for writing your article.  I disagree with almost everything you said.  But it made me think about those activities, try some new things, and do some old things that I hadn't thought about for a while.

If it wasn't for your article, I wouldn't have enjoyed the late night showing of Hercules, scored an awesome shopping deal at H&M, and I wouldn't have had nearly as much birthday fun.  Plus, my response to your article gave all my readers a taste of the obnoxious, opinionated, rebellious teen I once was, and I'm sure they all appreciate that.

Thanks again, and loosen up (or improve your satire skills),

-27 Not Dead

What have you done just because someone told you not to?  What do you do for fun, despite your age?


Jenn signature graphic | Business, Life & Design