I never do these and normally I'm all, "Mlegh, if I want it I'll just buy it" but this year is a little different. I've successfully exercised some level of frugality (which my bank account is happy about) and I sometimes literally have "purchase ___" on my to do list for weeks because I'm tired and it takes that long for to do list items to feel like a priority.
One of my last comments on another blog was about how I was getting small, 5-minute things done every time I was in a room. So we had all this alcohol stashed in our kitchen cabinets that Ryan and I are not going to drink (I don't know how long it's been for Ryan but I am 1 year, 11 months alcohol-free!!!). I'd been meaning to move it into the basement for a few weeks and I was proud because I'd finally done the first "5-minute" portion of the task: taking the alcohol down from the high shelf.
Hey, man, it requires a step stool! This was WORK! And then I figured the next 5 minute task would be moving it into the storage area in the basement. I'd do that whenever I next had occasion to go down there.
It seemed perfectly logical to me and then I took a (mental) step back and realized how sad that sounded. 4 6-packs of beer, and it's a multiple day project?
So yeah, these days even small tasks sometimes feel like monumental ones. Partially because I'm usually tired and partially because I'm almost always multi-tasking housework with baby-watching and guys! He's crawling and pulling himself up and our house is really not baby-proofed. It's exhausting. So a lot of times the effort to purchase things for myself doesn't seem worth it.
Which is all a roundabout way to say, I actually have a wish list!
One of my last comments on another blog was about how I was getting small, 5-minute things done every time I was in a room. So we had all this alcohol stashed in our kitchen cabinets that Ryan and I are not going to drink (I don't know how long it's been for Ryan but I am 1 year, 11 months alcohol-free!!!). I'd been meaning to move it into the basement for a few weeks and I was proud because I'd finally done the first "5-minute" portion of the task: taking the alcohol down from the high shelf.
Hey, man, it requires a step stool! This was WORK! And then I figured the next 5 minute task would be moving it into the storage area in the basement. I'd do that whenever I next had occasion to go down there.
It seemed perfectly logical to me and then I took a (mental) step back and realized how sad that sounded. 4 6-packs of beer, and it's a multiple day project?
So yeah, these days even small tasks sometimes feel like monumental ones. Partially because I'm usually tired and partially because I'm almost always multi-tasking housework with baby-watching and guys! He's crawling and pulling himself up and our house is really not baby-proofed. It's exhausting. So a lot of times the effort to purchase things for myself doesn't seem worth it.
Which is all a roundabout way to say, I actually have a wish list!