They hatin.' (Tryin to catch me reading dirty...)
Stole this idea from Erin, who stole it from Emma! Because who doesn't love pie charts? (Pie charts made at meta-chart.com, if anyone else wants to play.)
I have read 100 books this year!!! Which is 22 more than last year and double my goal (I shouldn't even bother to set goals, because I clearly have no idea what I'm going to do each year). It's kind of fun to watch the numbers skyrocket ever since I started reading new books again and tracking it in Goodreads.
While the number of books increased, my page count increased even more, which means I read a few clunkers this year (cough Patrick Rothfuss).
This surprised me. Here I was, patting myself on the back for reading sci-fi and I have read precisely one science fiction book this year. I actually did this earlier this year before deciding to save the post for the end of the year so I'm not shocked anymore that YA is the leading category. I have tried to buff up the other categories since then, which is the only reason that self help and nonfiction together are about equal to YA AND my nonfiction reads weren't entirely celebrity memoirs. Whatever - you like what you like.
Kind of like Erin said, I feel bad giving books 2 or 1 star ratings, and I rarely do it. I even went back to some of my old ratings and deleted them, because it wasn't fair to rate a book on how much I hated it in high school or as a kid. (After all, Dune was a 2 star book when I was 12, but it's 4 stars now.)
I posted about my all-time most read authors before, but it was interesting to see how my habits have shifted over time. Definitely more YA now, but also a lot more female authors and more kickass female protagonists. So I'm not totally ashamed of that.
I wish I had done this at the end of 2015, because I had some great reads last year (and maybe a little less fluff). This year I burned out in the self help arena a couple times and had some trouble getting myself going on serious material again after overindulging with silly fantasy/fairy tale retellings. Oh well. I don't think your brain can rot from too much YA, can it?
Stole this idea from Erin, who stole it from Emma! Because who doesn't love pie charts? (Pie charts made at meta-chart.com, if anyone else wants to play.)
How I Roll/Read/Do Book Stuff
I have read 100 books this year!!! Which is 22 more than last year and double my goal (I shouldn't even bother to set goals, because I clearly have no idea what I'm going to do each year). It's kind of fun to watch the numbers skyrocket ever since I started reading new books again and tracking it in Goodreads.
While the number of books increased, my page count increased even more, which means I read a few clunkers this year (cough Patrick Rothfuss).
Genre
This surprised me. Here I was, patting myself on the back for reading sci-fi and I have read precisely one science fiction book this year. I actually did this earlier this year before deciding to save the post for the end of the year so I'm not shocked anymore that YA is the leading category. I have tried to buff up the other categories since then, which is the only reason that self help and nonfiction together are about equal to YA AND my nonfiction reads weren't entirely celebrity memoirs. Whatever - you like what you like.
Rating
Kind of like Erin said, I feel bad giving books 2 or 1 star ratings, and I rarely do it. I even went back to some of my old ratings and deleted them, because it wasn't fair to rate a book on how much I hated it in high school or as a kid. (After all, Dune was a 2 star book when I was 12, but it's 4 stars now.)
5 Most Read Authors of 2016
I posted about my all-time most read authors before, but it was interesting to see how my habits have shifted over time. Definitely more YA now, but also a lot more female authors and more kickass female protagonists. So I'm not totally ashamed of that.
Bests and Mosts
- Best in Fiction (Fantasy): The Night Angel series
- Best in Nonfiction: The Happiness Project OR The Girl with Seven Names
- Biggest Surprise: The Nightingale - I normally stay away from WWII stories, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't even hold a grudge for all the weeping I did.
- Best Series Started: Percy Jackson (for enjoyment; Night Angel for world building and good writing)
- Favorite"New to Me" Author: Aya Ling (for happy fluff books on Kindle Unlimited)
- Most Memorable Character: Alexia Tarabotti from the Parasol Protectorate series
- Most Thought-Provoking: Think OR SuperFreakonomics
I wish I had done this at the end of 2015, because I had some great reads last year (and maybe a little less fluff). This year I burned out in the self help arena a couple times and had some trouble getting myself going on serious material again after overindulging with silly fantasy/fairy tale retellings. Oh well. I don't think your brain can rot from too much YA, can it?


