I keep a list of my favorite blog posts from other people for a massive post at the end of the year with an entire years-worth of good stuff. For whatever reason, this got me thinking about awards and superlatives, but it seemed mean spirited to pit other people against each other, so instead I'm competing against myself.
So here's all my most notable (in some form or fashion) posts!
Whew! That was fun.
One thing I noticed when digging through for "most commented" was that often the posts I'm most proud of, and do the most research for, aren't actually read as much. I know it's because discussing social issues is hard and maybe people are tired of them from having read the same stuff on a bunch of other blogs.
But I'm going to keep writing them regardless. I fully believe I become a better person every time I do the research, educate myself, and churn out something well phrased and reasonably diplomatic. So even if that's the only purpose they're serving, it's good enough for me.
On a similar note, someone recently asked what the point was of blogging. Whether it was justified that she poured so much time and effort into this hobby. I know this answer is different for everyone, but I've always felt that, while the friendships and connections are a huge, huge perk, blogging is the answer to the question, "Why blog?"
I work through a lot of stuff here. I set my goals here. I make plans. Sure, I have quite a few fantastic cheerleaders to help, but even if they "wouldn't miss me when I'm gone," I'd retain all the benefit and value of having undergone this experience. I am better now than I was 2 years ago. It's been some magic alchemy of words, written and read, thoughts formed and shared, ideas garnered, and fun throughout.
For me, the value of the doing is the doing. I don't need any more than that. And looking back at old posts is a fantastic reminder of that, especially when they make me cringe.
And now I have to go sing Unbreak My Heart, since my own post got it stuck in my head. Aren't we all glad Kelli is back and my post didn't have to be the last we'd see of her?!?!
So here's all my most notable (in some form or fashion) posts!
Blog Superlatives!!!
1. Post I'm Most Proud Of
Media Hype - Shootings, Autopsies, and Incomplete Information (Second runner up would be A Different Kind of Faith. Both deal with tricky topics and manage to do so in a non-confrontational way, which I'm not always so good at. Oh, and I just wrote it, but I really like Woman on Woman Crime - Judgement, Bias, and the "F" Word also)2. Most Commented On
Show Us Your Books - July Reads (Of course - it's always show us your books. The most commented on non-linkup was The Wedding - Pictures and a Story.)3. Best Header Image
Breaking the 27 Commandments for 27 Year Olds (Although I really liked my Design Day Friday header images too. Ahhh, the days when I cared.)4. Most Self-Righteous
A tie between 4 Blogging "Rules" I'd Prefer Stay Broken and What Makes Me Unfollow - a Rant (Oof, some of these were hard to read. Remind me to not talk about blogging anymore, okay guys?)5. Best Title
Mistress Shaming - a Misallocation of Blame (See that wordplay?! This is the only post to get nominated for 2 categories and for good reason. Catchy title - terribly awkward subject matter.)6. Cheesiest
Introducing... My Family! (This might be a tie with the sappy one I wrote about Ryan recently, but you just guys just saw that, so I skipped it.)7. Most Scandalous
Another tie! How to Emotionally Scar Your Friends (Our First Stripper) and Mistress Shaming - a Misallocation of Blame (I probably wouldn't have said this one is scandalous except OH MY GOD, my coworker discovered my blog shortly after I wrote this and he decided to read a piece of it out loud. Guess which sentence he chose! Uh yeah, it was this, "The man is just a poor innocent who is swayed by every beckoning temptress and who cannot control into whom his penis enters." Oh the cringe.) A runner up would be The Other Side of the Sketchbook where I talk about modeling for a figure drawing class.8. Weirdest
Just Beachy - a Fond Farewell (It still makes me laugh, though. As an aside - I predicted I'd be done blogging a full 6 months ago! Look at me, sticking with a hobby.)9. Funniest
Even Weddings Need Context Clues (Obviously this is a pretty subjective category, but this post is one of the most concise funny stories I've ever told. I'm also not terribly funny, which made it a difficult one.)Whew! That was fun.
One thing I noticed when digging through for "most commented" was that often the posts I'm most proud of, and do the most research for, aren't actually read as much. I know it's because discussing social issues is hard and maybe people are tired of them from having read the same stuff on a bunch of other blogs.
But I'm going to keep writing them regardless. I fully believe I become a better person every time I do the research, educate myself, and churn out something well phrased and reasonably diplomatic. So even if that's the only purpose they're serving, it's good enough for me.
On a similar note, someone recently asked what the point was of blogging. Whether it was justified that she poured so much time and effort into this hobby. I know this answer is different for everyone, but I've always felt that, while the friendships and connections are a huge, huge perk, blogging is the answer to the question, "Why blog?"
I work through a lot of stuff here. I set my goals here. I make plans. Sure, I have quite a few fantastic cheerleaders to help, but even if they "wouldn't miss me when I'm gone," I'd retain all the benefit and value of having undergone this experience. I am better now than I was 2 years ago. It's been some magic alchemy of words, written and read, thoughts formed and shared, ideas garnered, and fun throughout.
For me, the value of the doing is the doing. I don't need any more than that. And looking back at old posts is a fantastic reminder of that, especially when they make me cringe.
And now I have to go sing Unbreak My Heart, since my own post got it stuck in my head. Aren't we all glad Kelli is back and my post didn't have to be the last we'd see of her?!?!