May 24, 2015

Sunday Sweats - Pre Vacation

Sunday Sweats Theme Inspired by Holly

Not my most inspired week.  But not my worst either.

Weekly Workouts


Monday - Strength Training, .6 Mile Run, Biking | DTT: 70 Min

An awesome bench workout at lunch!  We're supposed to go in cycles, starting light with lots of reps, and gradually moving up to heavier with less reps, and finally jump to a new weight and see if you can lift it and how many times.  So this week we got to the end of that cycle, and I was pretty excited when I was able to lift 85 pounds, a new record for me!

After work, I ran Luke around in my toe shoes!  It's the farthest I've run in them and it was the best one so far.  I'm starting to get comfortable with the midfoot/forefoot landing.  It tires my calves, but seems a lot easier on my actual ankle.  When I got back, I found a package with my new compression sleeves!  (like the socks but with no foot - so much easier to put on!)  So then I wandered around the house in them, and biked with them on, and by bedtime my leg felt like I hadn't run at all.  Overall awesome day for workouts.

Tuesday - Nada

I'm a little embarrassed about this one.  It seemed like the fates aligned to enable my natural laziness.  Our company went out for lunch, so strength training didn't happen.  My after-work workout partner canceled on me and then, despite knowing I wouldn't be able to workout this weekend and I really should get the time in, I took a nap.  And then I got up and read for a couple hours.  And went back to sleep.  It was wonderful, but not at all in keeping with my goals.

Wednesday - Strength Training | DTT: 30 Min

Uh yeah... cardio?  Where did you go?  Went light for our leg workout today, since last week I'd gone up to a new max weight, and it's also convenient since I need to do my long run tomorrow instead of Saturday.  Then, since I didn't feel like I'd worked hard enough, I added some curls and triceps to make up for yesterday's missed workout.

Thursday - 4 Mile Run, Yoga| DTT: 78 Min

Finally got my shit together for my long run (which, to be fair, is the most important part of my workout routine).  It's on the schedule for today instead of Saturday because I'll be away all weekend and actually it was rather nice.  I ran on my beloved treadmill instead of outside, which always makes it easier, and I watched Gandalf beat the poop out of Denethor (I'd forgotten all about that scene, but get it, Gandalf!), and counted my quarter miles, and ran a bit of an incline, and it was all around nice.  To be perfectly transparent, it was still unpleasant, because running usually is, but at least this time I didn't feel like I was dying (like the last 2 Saturdays) and I could tell from the get-go that I was going to make it without much of a struggle.

Afterwards did one of the bajillion videos from Sean Vigue with Ryan (would link but it's lost in the sands of time).  It was a beginner level video, but the best part was the detailed explanation of the poses.  At first I thought we'd be bored with the repetition, but actually there were things I didn't know and Ryan and I were able to correct some of our pose postures.

Friday - Vacation - Off to New Orleans!

Leaving right after work for Sister2's bachelorette party weekend.  I suppose technically I could have tried to squeeze something in in the morning or when I arrive in NOLA, but there's a lot going on, so I don't feel too guilty about letting this be a "rest day."

Saturday - NOLA Adventures

Walking all day and dancing all night.  I'm not going to count this as official exercise, but I'm fairly sure this won't be a sedentary vacation.

Sunday - NOLA Adventures

More of the same.


    Total Weekly Mileage: 4.6
    Weekly Total Time: 2 hr 58 min
    Weeks to Next Race: 12

    Thoughts Going Into Next Week


    The next 3 weeks also deviate from my "normal" schedule so I'll need to stay disciplined to squeeze my long runs in on weeknights.  (Although I'm really glad this is happening early on in the training schedule rather than during the 7+ mile runs.)  I worked it all into my training plan, but with travel, a wedding to officiate, and an obstacle race coming up, we'll see.  (For some reason, it never occurred to me that the obstacle race is actually my next race, not the half.  But it's not the one I'm training for, and I'm not terribly worried about time, because obstacles throw that all off anyway.)

    General Thoughts: It's exciting to hit new PRs!  I think eventually, I'd like to get my bench up to half my bodyweight, and my squat to my bodyweight.  Currently, I progress pretty slowly with bench, so I'll probably have to get over my hatred of pushups and supplement my workouts that way.  My legs seem to do alright with just one strength training workout and various cardio things.

    How did your workouts go this week?  Do you have strength training goals?


    Jenn signature graphic | Business, Life & Design