This isn't so much an advice post, as it is a self-realization one.
I've answered this prompt on a few other people's advice posts, and I said things like, "too many sponsored posts" or "no interaction with the blogger." Sometimes their life just takes a turn and the blog content heads in a direction I'm less interested in.
But when I think about the blogs I've actually unfollowed, it's been primarily for one reason:
They said something mean.
Sounds childish, right? But I'm not talking about snarky or sarcastic comments. Those are all in good fun, and I really don't offend that easily.
I'm talking about unnecessary snideness, or outright assholeishness (making up some words here, bear with me). Blogging is an incredibly zen-esque and de-stressing experience for me. So when I start seeing a lot of negativity, or things that influence my life or my feelings in a non-positive way, I'm out.
That might sound harsh, but... you know what? No, it's not. That's life.
We're adults (most of us), and we're old enough to know that our actions have consequences. In this case, the consequence is pretty small. You put people down for no reason - I unfollow. You use somebody's size/gender/race/orientation as the butt of a joke - I forget you ever existed.
That's not to say there's not other people out there who won't enjoy your particular brand of being mean to people. But I don't have to put up with it. And I won't.
Did you come here looking for advice and are now disappointed because I just ranted? I'm feeling generous today, so here's a few posts other, more interesting people put together along the same lines:
Oh, and instead of ending this with a plaintive, "Can't we all just get along?" I'll reference you to The Nectar Collective's 15 Ways to Be a Good Human Today for some inspiration. Some great (and easy) ideas that make me feel more optimistic just reading about it!

I've answered this prompt on a few other people's advice posts, and I said things like, "too many sponsored posts" or "no interaction with the blogger." Sometimes their life just takes a turn and the blog content heads in a direction I'm less interested in.
But when I think about the blogs I've actually unfollowed, it's been primarily for one reason:
They said something mean.
Sounds childish, right? But I'm not talking about snarky or sarcastic comments. Those are all in good fun, and I really don't offend that easily.
I'm talking about unnecessary snideness, or outright assholeishness (making up some words here, bear with me). Blogging is an incredibly zen-esque and de-stressing experience for me. So when I start seeing a lot of negativity, or things that influence my life or my feelings in a non-positive way, I'm out.
That might sound harsh, but... you know what? No, it's not. That's life.
We're adults (most of us), and we're old enough to know that our actions have consequences. In this case, the consequence is pretty small. You put people down for no reason - I unfollow. You use somebody's size/gender/race/orientation as the butt of a joke - I forget you ever existed.
That's not to say there's not other people out there who won't enjoy your particular brand of being mean to people. But I don't have to put up with it. And I won't.
Did you come here looking for advice and are now disappointed because I just ranted? I'm feeling generous today, so here's a few posts other, more interesting people put together along the same lines:
- Blog Talk: Why Do You Unfollow by The Lady Okie
- Reasons I Love a Blog by Insert Classy Here
- Why I'm Reading Your Blog by Helene in Between
Oh, and instead of ending this with a plaintive, "Can't we all just get along?" I'll reference you to The Nectar Collective's 15 Ways to Be a Good Human Today for some inspiration. Some great (and easy) ideas that make me feel more optimistic just reading about it!